Communication Facilitators (CF)
The DeafBlind Service Center is looking for persons who are available to work as a subcontractor during the week during daytime hours. It can be as little as a few hours per week. We have available work in Greater Seattle, Yakima, and Spokane areas. The position is called a Communication Facilitator (CF). The CF’s responsibility is to copy sign language from a videophone (VP) screen of a person using sign language to the DeafBlind client using tactile or close vision sign language. The CF also provides visual & environmental information and uses ProTactile techniques for the DeafBlind client. In this way, the DeafBlind client is able to communicate via CF when making video phone calls.
If you are interested in becoming a CF or would like more information, please contact Jackie Engler-Morris at .
Support Service Providers (SSPs)
Support Service Providers (SSPs) assist DeafBlind individual(s) by providing visual/environmental information so they can have their basic needs met. These include; food shopping, basic banking, material reading, running errands, and/or providing rides to the airport.
– Have the desire to be in a supporting role by assisting those with vision and hearing loss by providing visual/environmental information?
– Possess American Sign Language (ASL) skills or are currently learning ASL? (We might accept some individuals with no ASL skills to work with clients who use spoken language.)
– Have some free time and want to earn some extra income?
If you answered yes to the above, WE NEED YOU!
The DeafBlind Service Center (DBSC) is searching for motivated candidates to work part-time as sub-contractors with our DeafBlind clients in the following areas:
– Thurston County (Olympia)
– Pierce County (greater Tacoma area)
– South King County (Renton, Kent, Federal Way)
Training will be provided. You must be able to pass a background check and have a Washington state business license. You must also have a vehicle.
If you are interested or have any questions, please contact Elaine Sweeney at .
Feel free to pass this info to others who might be interested.
Do you know sign language? Are you a friend of the Deaf or DeafBlind community? Want to get involved, further develop your sign language skills, or learn more about DeafBlind culture? We are always looking for people to volunteer or work as sub-contractors.
- CF: If you are a native signer and are interested in becoming a paid CF service provider, please contact CF Program Coordinator, Jackie Engler-Morris.
- SSP If you know sign language, have experience with the DeafBlind community, and are interested in becoming a paid SSP sub-contractor, please contact SSP Program Coordinator, Elaine Sweeney, at: .
*All sub-contractors must complete a background check and training before they are eligible to provide services.